Social Bookmarking



Our adventure this week was to experience social bookmarking using Diigo.  Diigo is a website and app that allows you to save web pages to an online account. This allows you to access your bookmarks from any device.  My favorite feature is the google chrome extension that make bookmarking a page very quick and simple.

Background
My experience with social bookmarking consists mainly of using Pinterest.  I've used it for years for personal and professional bookmarks. I feel the need to admit that, in general, I'm not much of a bookmarker. I know that Diigo offers features like annotation, highlighting and sharing, but so far those are not things I've needed in my life or career.  I don't like highlighting. I know I'm a weirdo, but my brain tends to skip over highlighted things instead of drawing my eye to them! I'm sure many people will find that feature to be very valuable!

Application
Working as an elementary librarian I'm not sure how to integrate Diigo into my instruction which is generally limited to 15-20 minutes every other week.  I can see how it would be great in higher level classes and even for PD sessions.

I applied for the education account, but just got approved and have not had a chance to see what features that account holds.

Conclusion
I will keep this application in mind and try to brainstorm ways to use it and make it work for me, my students, and coworkers.  Until then, I'll probably keep using Pinterest to save recipes, articles, and library display ideas.

Comments

Popular Posts